ZKI Service for Federal Agencies (ZKI-DE)
Analysis Products in Support to the Emergency Management
The demand of up-to-date geoinformation for decision support purposes within public authorities is constantly rising. By means of remote sensing systems, such geoinformation can be provided at short notice. Information extraction methods from remote sensing data provide a valuable tool to gain information about damages from natural or man-made disasters, especially with regard to the duties and responsibilities of the civil protection agencies.
This cooperation is not limited to federal authorities. The BMI offers to participate in this project to other organizations as well. As a first institution, the German Red Cross also will use ZKI products for their emergency operations world-wide.
Major advantages of this cooperation are:
- Federal authorities and other authorized users gain access to products and services for virtually any geographic region world-wide.
- The ZKI-DE service provides valuable and timely information for different kinds of natural disasters, humanitarian crisis and other emergency situations - customized to the needs of the requesting German authorities - based on processing and analyses of aerial and satellite based remote sensing data.
- Timely, precise and comprehensive information concerning the overall information about an area can be generated, particularly for the estimation of damages but also for disaster prevention and the recovery status of an area.
- In addition to a quick general overview of an incident, detailed information such as possible ways of access can be provided in order to save valuable time and send emergency relief teams directly to the affected regions.
- The products are provided in a wide range of scales from 1:500 to 1:200,000 and they can be used by all levels of the crisis management (from the superordinate crisis management group to the operation controllers), since all of the products can be provided in different formats.
Service and product portfolio
The ZKI-DE service offers a wide band width of products for all phases of the disaster management cycle. An overview of the products for all different applications can be found here:
The ZKI-DE product portfolio overview (in German)
National and European – hand in hand
The ZKI was a key protagonist in establishing the European Emergency Response Service in the Copernicus Programe (formerly GMES - Global Monitoring for Environment and Security) and now complements the European offer with further services. ZKI will continue to serve as service provider for the European programmes and is currently partner of the security-related service and research projects G-Next and G-Sextant. The continuation of the ZKI services for public authorities in Germany is part of the National GMES Actions Programme.
Dr. Monika Gähler
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
German Remote Sensing Data Center (DFD)
Tel.: +49 8153 28-3309
Fax: +49 8153 28-1445